Actually this is a presentation about technology trends, patterns and mobility but, given the audience at WebCongress held in Miami James L. Knight center I had to look for a catchy title. Head on to slide 32 for a wonderful graph on Smartphone adoption where you can see where the world is at today compared to US and EU 5 countries. Thanks to analyst Horace Dediu of Asymco.
The deck is 51 slides long but there are another 50 in the original draft, pretty much covering everything I could find from real experts around tech. More importantly, at the end of the presentation, slides 46 onwards, you'll find what this means to people, and their reason behind the rising new generation of entrepreneurs.
As a summary, this is the new context we face:
- New paths in Maslow’s pyramid
- ‘truth’ is a tweet, photo or video clicked & sent away
- New definitions of ‘success’: money may not be in
- Access to luxury more important than owning luxury – Rise of sharing economy
- Self-realization and self-actualization online
- (Win)^3: You help me, I help you, we help others
- Klout score in your resume
- Managing man-machine symbiosis, key competencies.
- Global network, global thinking, global objectives. A collective intelligence arising (Singularity)
Consequence of historical events:
- Reduced sense of security since 2001 terrorists attacks
- Destabilized economy since Global Financial crisis 2008
- High unemployment levels – ‘Evil’ corporations
- Increasing perceived fiscal pressure – need to self sustain or get out the system
- Pervasive & cheap computing everywhere
- Tech-entrepreneur heroes – Dorsey, Zuckenberg, Larry, Sergey
- All tools you need in the web: crowdfunding yourself (kickstarter)
Loss aversion decreased dramatically for new generations, a 'nothing to lose' context fosters entrepreneurship. We'll all meet there.